Partner: Green Home Experts
This outreach pilot established partnerships with senior care agencies to better reach income eligible senior customers with energy efficiency measures.
The pilot team offered income eligible senior (aged 60 and older) residential ComEd customers free direct installation of a standard measure package including weather stripping, door sweeps, caulking, smart thermostats, LED lamps and LED night lights.
Green Home Experts worked with AgeOptions, the Area Agency on Aging for suburban Cook County, Illinois, to attract and verify participants. Because of their direct interaction with the target audience, AgeOptions and similar agencies proved to be promising avenues for income eligible participation in energy efficiency offerings.
- Feedback from participating customers was largely positive.
- Nearly 60 percent of the provided smart thermostats were installed—a notably high installation rate for the senior population.
- Participants expressed appreciation for a walkthrough of ComEd's customer protection guidelines.
- Based on the pilot’s cost and recruitment success, Green Home Experts estimates a favorable cost-effectiveness and recruitment rate if this strategy were to be incorporated into ComEd’s portfolio.
- Green Home Experts suggested expanding the offering to other care agencies such as township handyman programs, Meals on Wheels or agencies aiding those with disabilities.